Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Original

There are thousands of websites, books and guides about city eats: Zagat, Opentable, City Search tend to be the Go-To's, but practically anyone can jump on there and sway the opinion one way or the other, not really having any genuine rating scale you can consistently measure. Rating scale and consistency: that's where I come in.

My restaurant choosing qualifications

Well, I'm a Los Angeles native, and that is the best kept secret when it comes to knowing when something is tasty. Because, flat out, we just don't eat. Thanksgiving is our least favorite holiday: we have no football team, and we don't eat. And if we do, well, those calories better count for something. Two hours of yogilates just isn't worth a burnt chocolate chip cookie. In other words, I know a good meal when I have one.

I also have a freakish 5-pt rating scale that I have been using for years to describe my dining experiences to friends. While this may seem normal for a website, believe me, this is NOT normal when you dive into a power point-like presentation when your co-worker asks you how your dinner was last night. Though, over time, people do come to appreciate this anal side of my personality, and they keep coming back for recommendations. I thought best to have some place to point them, and so the blog was born: Yip on City Eats.

Oh, and here's that rating scale, since I know you've been dying to see it since I brought it up:

The Rating Scale

1. Decor and Atmosphere
2. Menu and Presentation
3. Food
4. Service
5. Bathrooms - the ladies know what I am talking about here: cleanliness and lighting are key to the success of the overall experience.

Special points: Restaurant printed matchbooks - I have a matchbook collection and obsession. Basically I have been collecting them with my 'round the world travels since I was little. Hmm, it never sounded quite that dorky to me before. But I like 'em, ok?! In a non-smoking city they are hard to come by, so the "old-schoolers" get some extras for this one.

But enough about that. Let's get to the eats...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home