Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Expansion

My faithful followers know that I recently (well, not that recently) relocated from San Francisco to Los Angeles. I was anticipating my depression around the lack of delicious food available and the desire to actually eat it. And even though many asked, I decided I would give up the blog with my departure from SF. And for many a good reasons, which in my power point, corporate speak, I will list here:
1) Always a pillar of efficiency, I had trouble seeing how the sprawling acreage of Los Angeles would translate to a sampling that people could actually find helpful when deciding where to dine for the evening.
2) How could I be whitty and interesting when theoretically all I could write about was authentic Mexican cuisinse, natural frozen yogurt and 750 different kinds of salads?
3) And then there's always the age old anorexia issue in Hollywood - people here don't eat. I think when you arrive at LAX there is a sign that says "Nothing Tastes as Good as Thin Feels" (or at least there should be). I knew I would soon feel obligated to revert to the daily diet of 3 sprays of Binaca for breakfast, an afternoon snack of 2 tic tacs, and a late night cocktail of Listerine. Not to mention that I would be interspersing my soon to be 10 gallon a day habit of pounding green tea.

The green tea prohibits the absorption of calories for those that have no idea what I am talking about. And why should you? You live in a normal city and have normal eating habits that consist of actual nutrients and/or major food groups. I will soon be living life in a constant state of fresh breath, even though I'll never arrive anywhere on time between the LA traffic and the number of stops I'll have to make every 20 minutes from my liquid diet.

But the more I thought about it, I decided that while YOU may not have to live here, I do. And surely business (and visits to your friendly neighborhood Yip) may bring you to Los Angeles. And then how will you know where to eat? Someone is going to have to make the sacrifice to help navigate through all the bad, over-priced, celebrity hype eateries you will tempted to visit on your company's expense account.

And, this was really the clincher, when someone gave me an Los Angeles Zagat guide for my recent birthday, in the "LA's Most Popular" section (brace yourself, I am not kidding), the Cheesecake Factory was #1. I nearly simultanteously vomited and fell out of my chair. Clearly these people NEED me.

Well, that and I know my adoring fans get a kick out of my rants and raves, and they just can't find that same kind of entertainment elsewhere. So, back by popular demand, and in it's new expanded form ...

City Eats, Los Angeles

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the cheesecake factory comment… it is yummy, but can’t be #1

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI-LARIOUS!!!!! Seriously, I’m crying…

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear you have started your blog again. It is a little dose of Yip in my life again!!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are nothing short of a hero. I'm fired up you are doing this again.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahaha! I love.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home