Saturday, May 13, 2006

Yip on Nick's Crispy Tacos

Nick's Crispy Tacos * 1500 Broadway @ Polk, San Francisco, CA 94109 * (415) 409-8226
Cuisine: Casual Mexican
Neighborhood: Russian Hill

No joke, I personally refer to this place as "Nick's Crispy Lovin'." Read ahead and you'll see why. They only take cash, but there is a Walgreen's across the street you can get cash back with your ATM card. You'll need to pick up a pack of gum to mask your salsa breath anyway.

The Scene

Aside from the crowd which is typical Marina-Cow Hollow-Russian Hill merged with just about anyone who appreciates a good taco, the decor itself is flat out hilarious. This glorified taco stand is housed in Harry Denton's Club Rouge. Red velvet booths and cheesy chandeliers by night; loud floral vinyl print tablecloths, sombreros and "Blue's Clues" piƱatas by day. That's why they close promptly at 9pm.

The Food

I've had just about everything on the menu, and I have some friends that frequently order burritos and quesadillas, but come on, people. It's in the name: Nick's Crispy TACOs. You know how I feel about going to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and ordering chicken. My personal fav is the (Niman Ranch!) carne asada, Nick's Way. What is this Nick's Way, you may ask? It is a crispy corn tortilla, wrapped in a soft shell corn tortilla, all brought together with the delight of melted cheese and topped with chunk-a-licious guacamole. And its the only way to fly. I also like to order the chips and salsa to start, and I top off each bite with this tasty red sauce they have on the tables. It's a little piece of heaven in a bottle, and I'd like to find a way to feed it to myself intravenously. And since this place is part of a club, cervesas and margaritas are available. But you can only order alcohol if you also order food. Not sure if that's the law or just their means of crowd control. A good non-alcoholic alternative is the agua fresca (watermelon and strawberry are my favs).

The Service

It's minimal. It's a counter, for goodness sake, though they do bring the food to your table and have jugs of water available for your self-serve convenience. But be a doll and clear your plate by bringing the basket up to the counter before you head out.

The Bathrooms

Well, not so delightful, but what do you expect from a casual joint that doubles as a club after hours? Honestly, they are not nice and are bordering on the acceptable level of cleanliness. But the taco to end all tacos is what it is. Learn to deal with it or learn to hold it.

*************

In a spoonful, I love these tacos. I crave them. I dream about them. In fact, this place is closed between Xmas and New Years, and I am just about always the first person waiting outside the day they re-open. It's worth supplementing your favorite Mission taco haven, or dare I say, even trading it in.

Yip gives it 4 spoons.

Please note, it would be remiss of me if I didn't admit this and warn you upfront. I was briefly boycotting Nick's a couple of years back because I saw a full page photo in San Francisco Magazine of a taco looking suspiciously like Nick's Way from La Taqueria at 25th and Mission. So much so that, before the official boycott, my order would often start with "I'll have one carne asada taco, La Taqueria's Way. And I think you know what I'm talking about." Well, I test drove this La Taqueria, and it's got nothing on Nick's Way. Forgive me for doubting you, Crispy. I am again your loyal patron and servant.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd cross an ocean to have two carne asada taco's Nick's Way!
Never mind the ocean, I've braved Polk Street parking at 7pm in the evening for a little Nick's crispy taco lovin'!

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home