Friday, May 12, 2006

Yip on Ruth's Chris

Ruth's Chris Steak House * 1601 Van Ness @ California * San Francisco, CA 94109 * (415) 673-0557
Cuisine: Steakhouse
Neighborhood: Pacific Heights

I know I am giving it away, but OMIGOD, these steaks are amazing. I dined at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse recently to surprise my friend Chris and celebrate his birthday. I thought that was kind of cheeky and cute: Chris celebrating at Ruth's Chris. I knew from my previous visit that this place was good for a special occasion, and I know him to be a steak man.

The Scene

Classic steakhouse. Dark wood, burgundy upholstery, pressed white tablecloths. Probably just what you'd expect. This is a man's restaurant, like "an old boys club," and I mean that in a good way. I'm glad there is no smoking the restaurant or bar (CA state laws) because I'm sure there would be cigars everywhere. It's just that kind of place.

The Menu

Steak, steak and more steak. I don't know why they even give you a menu. I guess so you can see how pricey it is. And it is pricey. But I think its worth it. The waiter started to tell us about the fish specials and again I don't know why they bother. You don't come here for the fish unless you are getting Surf & Turf. They also have an extensive wine list and even offer Silver Oak by the glass. The snob in me appreciates that even though I would never order it.

The Food

The two times I've been here I had a filet. Tasty delight. I haven't had a better steak anywhere (Sorry Dad - you're still the grill master when it comes to burgers). They present it on a super hot plate that, no joke, is sizzling with butter. Yip yum. The side orders are good, not great. But you don't come here for the sides.

The Service

Aside from the 30 minute wait (and we had a reservation), the service was spectacular. The timing of the courses were perfect. They were quick with the follow-up drink orders, and they accommodated my secret request to add a candle to the dessert (which they also comp'd for the occasion). Thank goodness they knew better than to send the entire staff over in song.

The Bathrooms

A Clean Well-Lighted Place. Nothing out of the ordinary one way or the other to report. And I know that's shocking coming from me.

***********

In a spoonful, it's pricey but worth it. The steak is perfect. Don't bother if you are a vegetarian or just don't appreciate a good slab of red meat. Great for a special occasion. And, of course, they have printed matchbooks to mark the memories.

Yip gives it 4.5 spoons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home