Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Yip on Frjtz

Frjtz * 579 Hayes St @ Laguna * San Francisco, CA 94102 * (415) 864-7654
Cuisine: Belgian
Neighborhood: Hayes Valley

I admit to being slightly biased to the following review for 3 reasons:
(1) My friend Paul, one of the coolest cats I know, DJs here on Tuesday nights from 8-10pm
(2) It's in Hayes Valley, and literally a hop, skip and jump away from my bedroom.
and (3) I really want a miniature daushund someday, who I will name "Captain Fritz Gingersnap" and Frjtz reminds me of my love affair with him.

The Scene

The place is long and skinny with only a handful of tables. There's also a little garden patio in the back (with heat lamps!). There's also this cute little nook to eat in by the counter where you order. I had been here several times before said nook was free for me to enjoy (read: pea green with envy). But once I sat there, I realized I was unnecessarily seduced by the power of the nook. It is not comfortable. It's hot. And who knows how often they clean the cushions in there where everyone puts their dirty shoes. Not the kind of place I'd like to enjoy a meal you eat with your hands. There is, however, an equally tantalizing (and I suspect A LOT more comfortable) nook just inside the front door. They can even give you a bed tray to eat off of. So nook away. And do so on Tuesday nights - Go Paul! He rocks.

The Food

Citysearch continues to live up to my frustrations (I think friends like to read what's on there and call me out on my opposite opinion just for kicks).), so I am going to go ahead and disagree with them here (shocker!). The crepes are just ok. And that's not really allowed when over half your limited menu consists of crepes. They are greasy and doughy with overall unimaginative combinations on the savory side. I mean, I'll throw them a bone here on the sweeties: what's not to like about good ol' nutella and banana?! But the fries are yip yum, and they have like 20 different kinds of dipping sauces. As far as the food, I'd stay stick with the pommes frites and call it a day. Well, that and don't forget the Chimay. But they go down easy, so pace yourself. Though if you don't heed that advice, annoyingly you have to wait in line again to get another. Clearly a flaw in this system.

The Bathrooms

Well, in all honesty, the restaurant itself doesn't seem like the cleanest (you have to walk by the kitchen to get outside to the patio and its a little grimey and slippery), so I didn't brave the bathroom. Notice the trend that I don't often have bathroom information to report in Hayes Valley, since my own private bathroom with multiple soap options and 2-ply TP is just around the corner. And really this lack of knowledge is not for lack of need. I have the smallest bladder of all time.

**************

In a spoonful, its worth checking out and kind of fun. Head around the corner to The Crepe House if that's what you're looking for. Its Fries and Beers here. Kind of like a ball game - an American, err ... Belgian classic.

Yip gives it 2.5 spoons.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're crazy. Frjtz gets 4 stars any day of the week. Who cares about the crepes? Fries are to die for, sauces great and interesting, and they have Belgian beer. What else do you need?

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excatly what is so special and unique about Frjtz's fries? They taste the same as 100 other restaurants, stands or carts in SF. They have a wide range of dipping sauces.. woohoo.. but that's not going to make me go out of my way and stop for some. And the crepes and sandwiches are just awful and over-priced. Holla!

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home