Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Yip on Gary Danko

Gary Danko * 800 N Point St @ Hyde * San Francisco, CA 94109 * (415) 749-2060
Cuisine: Californian
Neighborhood: Russian Hill

Before you go, note that they start taking reservations 2 months in advance. And by that I mean, wake up the morning 2 months in advance of the exact date you would like to eat and call-busy-hang-up, call-busy-hang-up, call-busy-hang-up, like you're trying to get through to Ticketmaster. And don't even think of being technologically savvy and trying to book on their website. This will just lead to their hostess calling you back a day later and offering you a table at 9:45pm on a Sunday night. You can, of course, also decide to "walk in" and have you $300+ meal at the bar.

The Scene

All the buzz. One of the hottest tickets in town. I'm dying to be on the inside. And I know I can only afford to go here on the parental payroll, so you bet I succumbed to Mr. Two-Months-In-Advance when I learned my Big Daddy Caddy was coming to town.

Unfortunately, initial impressions not so good, both before and after being seated (more to come on that). It is partially my own fault for not anticipating and handling critical situations because the website did ask if I had any requests when I made my reservation. I should have requested to not be put at a table where I felt like I was on a date with my dad. Allow me set the scene for you:

This restaurant has two rooms. One with the bar and a few small tables, and another more private room (read: no windows. It feels a little like a Mafia hit is about to happen). There, a few larger 4-person tables in the center of the room and several smaller 2-person tables wrap around the perimeter. The problem with these smaller tables is that you have to sit side-by-side. While I know some people find this highly romantic, I don't even like sitting on the same side of the table on a legitimate date, let alone with my dad. Though clearly this is the kind of a place an older sugar daddy would take his young vixen, so maybe they thought they were doing him a favor.

The Service

While very fabulous and should not be glossed over, this really should be expected for such an in-demand reservation and pricey menu. Unfortunately, not the burst the in-demand bubble, there were two very annoying service oriented things about my visit.

Number One: I am not joking when I say we had to wait at the bar for 45 minutes past our reservation time for our table. And need I remind you from my previous rant, that our reservation was at 9:45 on a Sunday night? My pops made it clear for me more than once that he has never eaten dinner at 11pm. Good thing he'll take one for the team when it comes to his baby's happiness because in any other instance I have no doubt he would have walked right out.

Number Two: because you are not facing each other at the table, it is quite challenging to sit in your Sunday best and carry on a proper conversation without squirming around in your seat. I have to also mention that they have these food runners the help bring out all the plates so the food for the entire table arrives at literally the same time. Heaven forbid your head waiter has to go back to the kitchen for Aunt Lu's chicken. For the 4-tops in the center of the room, this looks a bit like a synchronized swimming routine and is very distracting to the outside tables. Maybe that's just me, but I'm already annoyed and we've barely ordered. And I waited 2 months for this dog and pony show.

The Food

I'll pull out all the stops here. It is really THAT fantastic. Everything we ate melted in your mouth and was superbly presented on the plate. And you know me too well by know to know that I am going to mention that the portions were perfect. I don't mind spending more for less. I just don't want to feel so full that I am going to burst when I clean my plate. Some places need to learn more food is not a matter of value. Less food is a matter of respect for my waistline and respect to not be so wasteful of the chef's masterful creations.

The Bathrooms

I would have expected more but that is probably only because my expectations haven't managed to the overall experience. Not that I really care to have one, but I was anticipating a restroom attendant.

**************

In a spoonful, I don't think it's worth all the hype. The meal is fabulous, but so are a lot of places in SF. They've got a few kinks to work out in the overall experience, and an overall experience is what I really treasure about a good meal. But, they do have printed matchbooks. And we all know that counts for something.

Yip gives it 4 spoons.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went here with my partner, when we walked in we were in a room full of retirement age caucasians and I felt a twinge uncomfortable being an early 30s, interracial, same sex couple. The wait staff there immediately put me at ease by asking if we wanted to sit next to each other and proceeding to offer probably the best service I've ever expereienced. The experience on the whole was wonderful, the wine pairing with our courses and the cheese plate were unbelievable!

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home