Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Yip on LuLu

Restaurant LuLu * 816 Folsom St * San Francisco, CA 94107 * (415) 495-5775
Cuisines: French, Rotisserie
Neighborhood: SoMa

I've been here two times now, and this time I chose this restaurant because it could accommodate large parties (mine was a pleasant party of 12). Unfortunately, in my book, a place has to be good, first and foremost, before it can characterize itself as 'good for groups.'

The Scene

When you first walk in, there is a oversized oven where they make their famous rotisserie chicken, pork and specials. The bar is hustling and bustling with an afterwork crowd. Our group was shuffled to one of the side rooms, which boasted its own full bar so it shouldn't have been half bad. Except we were positioned at the back of the room near, as I like to call it, the kitchen annex. Again, this would be nice given the wood burning oven atmosphere, if there was some prep or rotisserie to watch (not just dishes being washed and a fire that left my clothes smelling like a bonfire).

The Menu

Lots sounds good and its large portion family style, so I'm in luck for trying lots of tasty treats - beets, leek goat cheese bacon tart, and melon with prosciutto for apps. Main meal we go with an assortment of rotisserie: chicken,pork, and lamb (the evening's special). We also add a plate of halibut and the spinach, apple, goat cheese tart for good measure. Dessert also pretty much covered everything on the menu: warm chocolate cake, pluot tart, cookie plate, creme brulee. And the verdict...

The Food

The prosciutto melon came with honeydew instead of the normal cantaloupe. The beets were good, but for some strange reason were topped with chopped walnuts which were no value add. It's also important to mention that I suspect there must have been something wrong with their kitchen warming devices. The bacon tart was cold, which I definitely wasn't expecting. Both chicken and pork were delicious, but the pork came to the table cold as well and the chicken wasn't a top notch experience with lots of little bones to sort through. The fish was relatively tasteless, and the lamb was smothered with olive tappinade, so it was hard to taste anything else. Come dessert, the warm chocolate cake was warm, but the creme brulee wasn't. And the cookie plate came straight out of a store bought box, and not a store bought bakery box.

The Bathroom

The floor on the way the bathroom was super slippery, which me and my Manolos just don't go for. But by the time I made the mile and half hike to the ladies room, I was relieved to find it clean and freshly painted. And by that, I mean it was three stalls in a closet-like space, and I could hardly breathe from the paint fumes,. Now, if only they used that paint on our dining room ceiling, which was suffering from some nasty water damage.

************

In a spoonful, its not even worth trying once. And I should know, since I've made the unfortunate mistake twice. Cold food to the table, store bought cookies, and the rotisserie smell..., well, let's just say I should send them my dry cleaning bill.

Yip gives it 1 spoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home