Monday, August 07, 2006

Yip on (415)

(415) Restaurant and Lounge * 415 Presidio Ave @ Sacramento * San Francisco, CA 94115 * (415) 409-0400
Cuisines: Asian, All types (Japanese, Sushi, Thai ...)
Neighborhood: Presidio Heights

I walked by this place a bunch of times intrigued before I even knew the name (I took an interior design class at the JCC, which houses this place). I went here on a special occasion (my girl, Skip, took me there to celebrate my 'floating holiday' birthday) so all those together I had high expectations. It was also on Daily Candy a few weeks before so I knew it would be popular.

The Scene

Well, they had printed match books, which my loyal followers know is always a good start for me. They also have beautiful overhead lighting, which I am also a sucker for and a welcoming bar, which I find myself thinking would be a great place to have a glass of wine and a few bites of sushi on a school night. I am blown away and in love with the subtle animal print on the floor, looks like a tiger. Also, we were seated near the rear of the restaurant which a friend warned me might smell like chlorine, because I guess the JCC pool is on the other side of the wall? Not a drop of it hit my nose the entire night. Nothing to fear; ignore the rumor.

The Menu

Usually I feel like places that are TOO eclectic, don't seem to do a lot well. It's like their menu is all over the board (the restaurant downstairs from my apartment has all day breakfast, rotisserie chicken, sweet + savory crepes and Mediterranean cuisine, and let's not forget the gelato). But this place found a good way to combine Sushi, Thai chicken, and noodles. I think I even saw some Chinese dishes on the menu. Eclectic but focused. And I wanted to try it all.

The Food

Everything we had was fresh and good, maybe even above average, but not spectacular. Some sushi, some Thai, and fondue for 2 for dessert. Despite how full we were, it sounded so yum, we went ahead. Again, good but not spectacular.

The Service

Overall very good and attentive, coming back frequently to make sure our wine and water glasses were full. Also helped appropriately portion our ordering which was mostly a bunch of apps and sushi. One slip up came when I ordered a cup of coffee and it never came, but at least he also forgot to add it to the bill.

The Bathroom

Posh like the rest of the restaurant. The candle they had in their smelled divine, and I was tempted to steal it... but I didn't. But why no toilet seat covers? I'm noticing this trend with nicer restaurants in the city -- like they are too posh to be sanitary ?!

************

In a spoonful, the decor is fantastic. the food is average to above, and the service is the same. I admit that I may be a bit over excited between the matchbooks, the decor and the floating holiday birthday. But I'd say in my personal, professional opinion, it's worth more than just the suggestion of a visit. Try it.

Yip gives it 4 spoons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home