Monday, August 21, 2006

Yip on BlueJay Cafe

BlueJay Cafe * 919 Divisadero St @ Golden Gate * San Francisco, CA 94115 * (415) 447-6066
Cuisine: Southern, Soul Food
Neighborhood: Western Addition

The Scene

I have a special place in my *heart* for New Orleans, and this place reminds me of an off-the-beaten path secret diner in the deep South. I felt instantly at home when I entered this casual eatery.

The Menu

Its all the things you imagine: biscuits & gravy, fried chicken, macaroni & cheese, pork with apple sauce. Prices are more than reasonable, too.

The Food

I was so looking forward to my meal of fried chicken with a side of macaroni and cheese. Surprisingly, neither was award-winning. The chicken was overdone and dry. The mac and cheese, now a staple in so many SF restaurants, really should never be done poorly. Unfortunately, this one ended up pretty much a tasteless bowl of empty calories. My friends pork was a lot better, and we topped the meal off with an individual-sized blueberry pie.

The Service

I noticed it is difficult to get their attention, and they are pretty spacey. I enjoyed my meal with a friend who eats their regularly for the their weekend brunch, and he said the service we received was stellar compared to their usual commitment to their customers. So don't expect much.

The Bathroom

Its clean enough. Charming with a little bit of artistic flare.

*************

In a spoonful, the food is mediocre. The decor is quaint. The service is non-existent, but somehow, I know in my heart, this place is worth a visit. Maybe try the brunch, but not when you've been out late the night before.

Yip gives it 2.5 spoons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home