Monday, August 21, 2006

Yip on The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus

The Rotunda at Neiman Marcus * 150 Stockton St @ Geary * San Francisco, CA 94108 * (415) 362-4777
Cuisine: California
Neighborhood: Union Square

Ladies that Lunch. Enough said. Unless you need to know that they lunch in head-to-toe Chanel.
The Scene

Basically you come here to feel like a queen. The decor is gorgeous. The view is spectacular. And one of these days I am going to sit by the window and really enjoy it. Somehow, I sit at the same table every time I go here (which is more often than I would like to admit). This makes me feel even more special, like they know that is "my" table. An insider tip: even though NM only takes their own credit card or AMEX, the Rotunda also takes Visa and Mastercard. Who knew?

The Menu

I love that even the exterior of the menu is fun and classy looking: browns, pinks and lime green colors in stripes and polka dots. While you are perusing your choices, all meals here start with a tiny teacup of chicken broth consommé and a NM famous popover with strawberry spread and butter. The menu consists of lots of choices of apps, salads, sandys, and entrees. It's all a bit over-priced, but its no surprise there is a price attached to public access to high society.

The Food

I was in the habit of trying new things every time I went here, but I have recently fallen in love with the Grilled Beef Tenderloin Salad. The secret to this is to ask them to make the salad fresh, dressing on the side, so it isn't soggy. I also like the Grilled Ahi Sandwhich, but I wish it was paired with some kind of wasabi mayo instead of lemon caper aioli. Lobster bisque is one to be missed, and so are the lobster spring rolls. If you leave room for dessert, the chocolate cake is super rich, but yummy, and best when accompanied by a glass of milk.

The Service

When I was here with a friend of mine a couple of visits ago, he blantantly mentioned not 5 minutes into the meal: "My friend here is a restaurant critic." which of course ensued in even more excellent service than usual. I don't doubt you'll receive nearly the same level of service, but bepreparedd that they move a bit slow. But since this is a "leisure" lunch, you really shouldn't be in a hurry anyway. Watch out for the soda refills; since they come out of cans or mini bottles (different day, different casing) you'll be charged for additional refills even though the staff may forget to mention this.

The Bathrooms

They could stand to be sassed up a bit given the beauty of the restaurant itself: no attendant, no products. But at the same time, there's nothing offensive about them.

*************

In a spoonful, there aren't a lot of good places to snack downtown in Union Square that are not overpriced and over crowded. At least this place treats its patrons with the touch of class that everyone can appreciate. For me at least, this place is the perfect post-shopping guilty pleasure. And I really can't get enough.

Yip gives it 3.5 spoons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home