Sunday, December 10, 2006

Yip on Catch

Catch * 2362 Market St @ Castro * San Francisco, CA 94114 * (415) 431-5000
Cuisine: Seafood
Neighborhood: Castro

The Scene

Castro chic. Their heated outdoor patio is my favorite. There is even a little fire pit to sit by, and you don’t leave smelling like a BBQ. They have a nice bar too which would be a good place to have a glass of wine and some tuna tartar. There is also live music from a grand piano from a loft in the corner above the main dining room. They also have an exposed kitchen, which always makes me feel good when I can see how clean it is. I can’t get passed how they need to top off the décor with an oversized exotic saltwater fish tank. I’ve always loved those – MTv cribs style.

The Menu

You guessed it – fish. They have steak and a few other things to accommodate non-fish eaters, but why come to place called “Catch” if you don’t want fish. They also had a few salads to start and some yummy sounding fishy apps. They also have a nice wine list with a lot of reasonable priced selections, not to mention a full bar.

The Food

My date had a house salad and the salmon. I’m not a salmon eater myself, but he seemed impressed. I had a butter lettuce salad that was swimming in dressing, even though I asked for light on the dressing. When it came to the table, they definitely got an A for presentation. It was on the plate beautifully. I had halibut as my main course that was delicious and perfectly prepared. When you run a fish place, you better know how to prepare the fish so that its not over or under cooked. They have that down at Catch. No dessert, as the date wasn’t going so well, and I wanted to get the heck out of there. That, and the choices they had didn’t seem worth the calories.

The Service

We had to flag them down a couple of times to get drink refills, but they kind of hovered once the food was delivered. Also, wasn’t super loud in there, but it was hard to hear the waiter – like he was talking very soft, even though we had to have him speak up and repeat the specials a second time. He did make a little joke about the funny smell coming from the loft. I think they musicians needed a little inspiration or to mellow out before the second set.

The Bathroom

It was too well lit for the difference between the dining room. I was shocked blind when I walked in the ladies room with how bright it was. It was a single and they had two. I much prefer a single to a multiple stall ladies and gentlemen separate rooms. Nice, clean, and they had an advertisement on the back of the door for a charity restaurant event coming up there and at several other locations around the city.

*************

In a spoonful, I like this place. I like the patio, I like the menu (I’m a big fish eater), now if only they had a fish tank … I have yet to try their weekend brunch, but I bet I’d like it.

Yip gives it 4 spoons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home