Sunday, December 10, 2006

Yip on Home

Home * 2100 Market St @ Church * San Francisco, CA 94114 * (415)503-0333
Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
Neighborhood: Castro

There is also a second location on Union St in Cow Hollow, that shares some similarities, but there are some menu differences so be prepared for that. I keep trying to get here for their fried chicken, but its a special and I never seem to get there on the right day. I think it's Thursday but you are set on that, call ahead to make sure.

The Scene

Gays and Straights alike flock here for nightly specials and delicious brunch. I've only ever sat on the patio, which is more like a roofed in porch. It is also heated, and quite comfortable. It's pretty loud both in and outside though, so don't plan to come here for a deep and serious conversation.

The Menu

Mac n' cheese, sloppy joes, and nightly specials from the fried chicken (which I hear is to die for) to chicken fried steak, meatloaf and pot roast. They have burgers and other traditional fare, but the comfort food is their specialty and the main focus of their menu.

The Food

I love to come here for weekend brunch and partake in their famous bloody mary bar. Its the best - and only $3 a piece. A girl could afford to use this regularly as her weekend hangover remedy. I am, however, always a little disappointed that they don't have eggs benedict. I tend to order the quiche when I come here for a morning meal. Their breakfast breads are delish! I switch it up for dinner: meatloaf, pot roast or turkey "thanksgiving" dinner. I also love to share the macaroni and cheese. This place is comfort-food central. Don't insult them (or your own taste buds) by ordering a salad as a main course.

The Service

It's really hit or miss. Sometimes they are great, lively and attentive. Other times, I've had waiters that were really cranky and couldn't deal with how busy this place can actually get.

The Bathrooms

I adore the sink in the bathroom here. It is a beautiful stone, possibly poured cement, and runs the expanse of the stall. It's kind of like a little waterfall running sideways.

**************

In a spoonful, this is SF's original comfort food chain. I like it. It's consistent. They could work on some insulation to pad the noise and maybe give their staff a happy pill. All that being said, a bloody mary or two can go a long way to overlooking their flaws.

Yip gives it 3.5 spoons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home