Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Yip on Levende Lounge

Levende Lounge * 1710 Mission St @ Duboce * San Francisco, CA 94103 * (415) 864-5585
Cuisine: Small Plates, Eclectic
Neighborhood: Mission

I've been here a few times. Once to have a large party for a 30th bday party. They were kind of a pain in the ass to work with to organize the event (they setup a pre-determined menu for our party of 15 - lots of back forth about menu and price), but the actual event went off without a hitch, the service was fantastic, and it ended up being quite affordable, considering what they put together for us.

The Scene

Just on the edge of the Mission - so it's sort of Non-Mission, Mission. And I mean by that, it's under the freeway off ramp, and off the beaten path. Like you kind of have to be on the inside to know it's there because its not really near Mission foot traffic. That being said, you still have your local colorful panhandlers outside asking for cigarettes and other types of smokeable substances. Now don't you worry: your friends visiting from Kansas can't come to the Mission and miss that!

This place is pretty hip on the inside, making it both a good singles scene and a nice place to take a date. And they also have printed match books (READ: free bonus points!). It used to be the old "Butterfly" and has beautiful exposed brick and a great bar. I think if I were to open a bar or restaurant of my own, I would take many of the things they have here and improve upon them. But they have set an excellent foundation. They also have had super fun live music (performers and DJs) every time I have been here.

The Menu

Small plates. A lot of variety. Several vegetarian options. Several carnivorous options. Something to please everyone.

The Food

Aside from the bday party, I went here with a friend of mine and ordered a slew up small plates to fill out appetites. We had oysters on the half shell, beet salad w. pecan crusted goat cheese, mac and cheese, cheese fondue (gruyere & cognac and NY cheddar & sierra nevada) and for dessert the double mocha tart.

To start with the oysters: I don't have the most refined oyster palette, but I'm trying. And I try to educate myself with every slimy sucker I take down. So I ask the food runner (note, not our waitress), which oysters are which and where they are from. He says "These three are from Cape Cod, and these three are from Washington D.C." What little I may know tells me, *giggle*, he clearly must have meant Washington State. I causally inquire with the waitress and also then find out he also mixed up which was which. To me, it was amusing, yet nonetheless, unacceptable. To the waitress, it was appauling. I hope that poor guy didn't get fired. If we fired everyone for a D.C. slip up, there would be no one left to afford living in the states of Virginia and Maryland.

As for the rest of the meal, I didn't care for the pecan crusted goat cheese (it was molded into a little ball together), thought the beets were delicious. The mac and cheese was par for the course, but not to die for. I always expect fondue to be lux and creamy and deliciously sinful, but these tasted like bar food. And, the dessert, well this may be no fault of their own, but what I really wanted was molten chocolate cake and they didn't serve that. So we settled for the chocolate tart, which just wasn't the same.

The Service

No complaints, aside from the oyster mix up. Wait staff seems to be very well educated on the menu and the wine pairings. Attentive service at the bar, too, if you need to wait for your table to be setup. They also make a mean martini and delish bloody mary for brunch, if you are subscribe to those choice beverages.

The Bathroom

I don't know why I have this strange recollection of naked women art in the bathroom, or maybe just outside the bathroom. It was a bit horrifying wherever it was. Clearly I have blocked out the details. One thing I did notice was they had the live music on speakers in the bathroom, and without the usual restaurant noise, the volume was quite loud. It's nice to not miss a beat while you are taking care of business and humming along while reapplying your lipstick, but I could do it successfully down a few decibels.

**************

In a spoonful, I really like the decor here. And I like the idea of small plates. Feels hip in the bar area and with the live music. I think their menu is good, but the actual execution of many of the tastes needs some refining.

Yip gives it 3 spoons.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After getting more than 10000 visitors/day to my website I thought your cityeats.blogspot.com website also need unstoppable flow of traffic...

Use this BRAND NEW software and get all the traffic for your website you will ever need ...

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

In testing phase it generated 867,981 visitors and $540,340.

Then another $86,299.13 in 90 days to be exact. That's $958.88 a
day!!

And all it took was 10 minutes to set up and run.

But how does it work??

You just configure the system, click the mouse button a few
times, activate the software, copy and paste a few links and
you're done!!

Click the link BELOW as you're about to witness a software that
could be a MAJOR turning point to your success.

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home