Sunday, December 10, 2006

Yip on Paxti's

Patxi's * 511 Hayes St @ Octavia *San Francisco, CA 94102 *
(415)558-9991
Cuisine: Chicago Style Pizza
Neighborhood: Hayes Valley

Can't make it to Zachery's - try Patxi's. Apparently, it is supposed to be pronounced "Pah - cheese", but like to call it Pax-ee's (rhymes with taxis!).

The Scene

This place has been open for nearly a year now, and finally they have some art on the walls. The interior is pretty basic - wooden tables, a lot of metal, and a wall of exposed brick. They also have a couple of flat screen plasma TVs for the boys to watch their sports. There is no real waiting area when they get busy for dinner on Friday and Saturday nights, and they also seem to run out of chairs sometimes. Bring a coat and plan to wait outside. There is a bar across the street, but they don’t let you leave a cell phone num and have them call you when your table is up.

The Menu

Pizza (deep dish and thin crust), a couple of salads, a small wine and beer list. They have a pretty good variety of toppings (but for some reason no sausage ?), and their to-go menu claims to have "half baked" just like Zach's. I've walked in there to order to- go a bunch of times, and even mentioned that I live upstairs, and no one has ever suggested this option to me.

The Food

I think their pizza is delish, but it seems to take a while to cook (Chicago style 30-40 minutes and thin crust 20-30 minutes). Salads are pretty good and made with lots of fresh ingredients. They don't have any low fat or non fat salad dressings, which I think is totally strange. You might see me there sometime with my own salad dressing on the table (which I bring it from upstairs).

The Service

This actually may be more of a menu issue than a service issue, but certainly worth mentioning. Where are the slices? I don't understand a pizza joint that doesn't offer slices (I don't think NB pizza has 'em either). Apparently, Patxi’s doesn’t want “to run a slices business" - brilliant plan. I'm sure Pizza Orgazmica, with their constant slices line out the door, would agree with your sound choice. But I found out later, in off hours, slices are available, and they hang a cute little laminated sign in their window that reads (what else) "SLICES." I have found this sign is usually up until about 4pm or so, but there is no real method to it. Sometimes up, sometimes not. I walked by the other day, starving, thinking a slice would be perfect. And it was only 3:15pm. Clearly not dinner or lunch time traffic, but no sign. "Can I get a slice?" And the guy (who appears to be the manager) says ... with a completely straight face ... wait for it ... this is great ... "We're all sold out of slices for today." WHAT!?!? Hello!??! I mean, I'm no chef. And no rocket scientist. But if I am not mistaken, you are a pizza creation establishment. To have more slices, you just make another pie. Annoying. Stupid. And clearly cutting into their overall rating.

The Bathroom

Never actually graced them myself (I don't use Hayes Valley public bathrooms when my own spotless and soon to be freshly painted abode is right upstairs). I hear its pretty generic, and I know they only have one, unisex and including employee use.

************

In a spoonful, the interior is generic (except for the TVs). The service is pretty good, but the slices inconsistency can't be ignored. The pizza is delish. And I would say (and I'm sure this will elicit some comments), their Chicago style pizza is the best this side of the Bay. Better than Little Star, but not better than Zachery's. Fix the salad dressing. Fix the slices. And we'll be in business.

Yip gives it 4 spoons

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home