Sunday, December 10, 2006

Yip on Tres Agaves

Tres Agaves * 130 Townsend @ 2nd Street * San Francisco, CA 94107 * (415) 227-0500
Cuisine: Mexican
Neighborhood: SoMa

This might be a nice, different choice for a pre- or post-SF Giants game snack and cocktail, in the sea of what was formerly only MoMo's and 21st Amendment. This place, even though its been around a while now (in terms of the SF restaurant lifeline), is a reservation must. Bar is crowded. Restaurant is crowded. And if you want to get seated before next year, make a resy. They're on OpenTable.com.

The Scene

Just like the rest of what is up and coming in SoMa, this place is a converted warehouse that may have otherwise been destined to be another trendy loft complex. The crowd is everything from 30-something professionals, to turistas hearing about a trendy hot spot from their hotel concierge, to local SoMa construction workers, to good ol' American baseball fans. They also have a nice private room I got a glimpse of that would be worth checking out for your next Tequila tasting party.

The Menu

Tequila. Tequila. And more Tequila. There is more tequila on this menu than food. They even have a tasting. Which my friend and I shared. And we had a pitcher of margaritas. It's amazing I could even taste the food when it came. We also started with a ceviche app which was good, but huge. Our waiter was not exactly on top of advising we ordered enough food for 6 people, even though there were only 2 of us. We also each had a main course from what might be a traditional Mexican menu, but isn't a traditional American-Mexican menu. No nachos, enchiladas, tacos or burritos. Basically they are all plates you build yourself: lettuce, cheese, beans, tortillas, and some kind of meat. We had steak (carne asada) and pork (carnitas).

The Food & The Service

The food – what I like to refer to as OK + (which means a little better than just ok). And huge portions. Which I just don’t need. Fine – charge me the same amount, but no need for all the waste. Salsa was really yum, even though the waiter didn't know how to describe the ingredients, but didn’t try to pretend it was some secret. I wanted to order the halibut main course, and the waiter really got me going on it. He even said, "If you don't like it, I'll buy you your dinner." Seemed like a good enough deal to me. And this wasn't even one of those times when my dining companion affectionately dropped "My friend is a restaurant critic." Suspiciously, and if you're keeping up with what I have written above, we didn't have the halibut. Conveniently, they were all out of the halibut by the time my order made it to the kitchen. I settled for the carnitas, which was pretty greasy. I mention again, the salsa was delish, but you can't base a successful meal on salsa. We didn't have dessert because we were so full ...ugh, my stomach still hurts just thinking about it.

The Bathroom

I'm going to be honest here. I know I went with the amount of tequila and margaritas and water trying to sober up a bit I consumed. But maybe I was a little tipsy and didn't remember? Must have been clean enough to not be so memorable.

*************

In a spoonful, the menu didn't have enough options. The portions were huge and not well described by the menu or the wait staff. If you are into tequila, this is your place. Get the chips, salsa, and drinks and call it a day. Oh, and get them at a bar table. Don't bother fighting the crowds for the reservation and to sit in the main dining room. I think the hype around this place is a little over-hyped.

Yip gives it 2.5 spoons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home